This is the story of 2 couples taking a step back from Corporate Canada life to fulfill a lifelong dream. This blog is by no means a “How To” on planning and executing a journey around the world, but rather a sharing of our experiences and feelings from 2 perspectives as we fumble our way around the world on a journey of a lifetime

"Life begins at the end of your comfort Zone" - Neale Donald Walsch

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Keep on Dancin.. Dancin... in Rio, for Carnival

Unknown to most, word on the street is that Sao Paulo, although a massive (largest city in the southern hemisphere) city, is considered the culture capital of Brazil. We have just set foot in the massive city and I'm not one to jump to rash opinions before even experiencing a place. but there is no fucking way that Sao Paulo can pack in the culture, more so than Rio de Janeiro.


I wont be upset or disappointed if it ends up that way. Hell, if it does I guess that means Ill be half-naked for 4 days, dancing instead of walking (with or without stitches in my knee), taking part in random Blocos filled with 50,000 others just like me (they just don't speak english and most have hair on their heads) - All the while just celebrating the joy of dancing in the streets with literally a 1992 Blue Jays Skydome full of people at a time. I will be dressed in random Halloween-esque flare (the less clothing thing doesn't apply here because a typical Canadian Halloween costume typically includes a lack of clothing... PHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWW. That was a lot and a horrible demonstration of proper grammar.


If you cant tell by my excitement, Carnival is EPIC.. just bananas. In this blog, there will not be any photos because we left our only remaining camera at home for the celebrations..... besides, pictures just wouldn't do this any justice.. just go.. trust me!


I guess seeing Rio during Carnival, its easy to have a bias or skewed view when trying to compare culture capitals. But fuck it.


I love.... to dance. There are a lot of people (including my DPFL (dance partner for life), my main, amongst other credible sources) that can attest to that and most of them have the same addiction as me. No.. I'm not talking about lava parties although they are a standard result of the addiction (of dance). All I usually need is a few gentles a room filled with epic tunes and BOOM [there goes the fire extinguisher..hahah]. The celebrating (usually of the weekend arrival) begins. LAVA!!


Dance in Brazil and more specifically Carnival is next level. From my gringo view, its a celebration of just that.... dance, good times, a new year, etc.... 


The cultures within Rio diversify as you travel from Bloco to Bloco, neighbourhood to neighbourhood which was by far my favourite part of our stay.

  • The beaches are straight up samba mixed within 50,000 others just like you all dancing (instead of marching) in a parade.
  • Lapa - the boho/hipster hood, is a folky-samba that when listened to closely (whether you understand it or not) tells a Bob Dylan-esque story.
  • Santa Teresa boasts a more modern, yet authentic history lesson told through samba
  • Central/Sambadrome is just straight up bonkers. Its the ocho cinco and TO or TD dances.

The best part of all is these subcultures come to life year round (or so it seems that way from our 2 days post-carnival).


I wish we spent more time there, but we just couldn't do it. If you go.. go during carnival and stay for a month... 


I love the idea of getting a more culturally-rich experience out of Sao Paulo (more so than Rio), I just don't believe it can happen. That said, if the first 2 months of this trip, combined with my standard PMA (positive mental attitude) have shown me anything... its to go into each new experience with an open mind and heart.. with that, only the best will come from your journey. Whatever that journey is.


OOO_Jonny

1 comment:

  1. Lava-ing all over the world!
    Good on ya!
    Marty

    ReplyDelete