This is the story of 2 couples taking a step back from Corporate Canada life to fulfill a lifelong dream. This blog is by no means a “How To” on planning and executing a journey around the world, but rather a sharing of our experiences and feelings from 2 perspectives as we fumble our way around the world on a journey of a lifetime

"Life begins at the end of your comfort Zone" - Neale Donald Walsch

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A poncho is a hot dog.. and that is awesome

Hola from Mendoza.


What you are about to read may shock you based on what you have heard from friends who have travelled South America. To be honest, I wanted to give it a fair chance before I published any official personal opinions about the food in SA.


Food in South American (particularly Peru, Bolivia and Argentina) is average........ surprising.. I know.
You do get the odd epic meal but for the most part the food will range from OK to average and can sometimes even be shit.


Before your mind takes to assume this is the YUK of the week. Please stop it. It is not the YUK of the week. My opinion about SA food lead to something amazing.


A few days ago, in Mendoza, Argentina; a place that demands the need to eat bbq meet and wine, I opted for a Poncho. Not just any poncho... a SUPER poncho.


At first, I wondered how the word poncho could ever mean hot dog... But then I started to say the word more. Poncho is a fun word to say.. try saying it 10x. You can also add epic adjectives to it... like.. SUPER poncho or EPIC poncho, etc.....


Those that know me well know I love hot dogs... My favourite is a nice, heavily BBQ'd street meat.. That said, a hot dog is only as good as the toppings available. For this reason NYC hot dogs are trash while Toronto (in my experience) leads the way for street meat.


I can officially tell you that Argentinian ponchos are UNREAL... its not even BBQd.. its steamed... which is a major hot dog faux pas for me (until now).


Talia, Cedric and myself spent a few hours on a patio, smashing footlong super ponchos topped with spicy mustard, home-made salsa, hot sauce, pickled vegetables and.................................................... the super poncho staple.... crunched up chips....




So... to summarize... The food in SA has been OK. We have had great meals... we have had shit meals and have had a lot of average meals.... As such, I have developed the SA equation for successful eating. 


When your desire for local dining has lead you to the wrong places (typically ending with the Banos), for 3 consecutive meals... Ditch the local flare and go with your gut... SUPER PONCHOS!!!!!!!!!!


Peace, Love and ponchos..
OOO_Jonny

2 comments:

  1. the crushed chips are the key. love it. epic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to LOVE choripan!!! don't turn it down when you see it in the streets. My mouth is watering right now. So cheap. So tasty.

    ReplyDelete